Then
The cold air surrounded me, only adding to my excitement. The colorful bright lights twinkled like the stars in the sky. I watched all the other kids running towards it, and watched them pick their favorite horses, each beautifully decorated with ornaments and colorful saddles. I clenched my moms shirt, insisting her to run faster. We had to make it on this round. We just had do. We ran and ran. I felt like my mom was slowing me down. So I ran faster, letting go of her, racing ahead, hoping to make it through the open iron gates. I could hear my mom calling out for me, "slow down, Anjali. It's crowded. I don't want you to get lost. " she was just looking out for me, but that didn't matter. I wanted to get on and so I ran faster. But just as I got close, I saw the lady with the vest shut the gate. I stopped in front of her, pleading her to let me go. "I'm sorry" she said "it's full. You'll just have to wait"
That's when my mom caught up to me, huffing and puffing. She took one look at me and saw my disappointment. "It's okay," she said as she patted my back, "now you get first pick!" And again I was excited, waiting for the doors to open. And when they did, I ran to the tan horse with the sparkling blue saddle. I stepped on the stirrup and tried to lift myself up but I got all off balance. "Woah there! " my mom said, "you should have waited for me." And she helped me up and fastened the seatbelt. And then she sat on the horse just slightly behind mine to be able to see me.
Then the ride began and the music blasted from the speakers above is. We began to revolve and somehow that made everything feel magical. I started to feel giddy and couldn't stop laughing. I looked at my mom and she was happy too.
I watched the other kids get excited as they waved to their parents who were waiting on the sidelines and all of a sudden I felt excluded. I wanted that too.
Then the ride ended and I told my mom I wanted to go again. The line was short so she didn't mind and I stood in front of the iron gate. The lady smiled and said "back again" and I nodded excited. As we entered, I turned to my mom and said that this time I wanted to go all by myself. She seemed upset but she smiled and stepped back. The lady gave my mom a sympathetic smile as if to say "kids these days!" But it didn't matter because the ride was about to begin.
Now.
Sometimes I wonder how we kids can be so selfish. Our parents slowed their pace so that we could keep up. They changed their whole world to make sure ours was perfect. They forgave our every mistake an overlooked our every fault. But when it's our turn, we hesitate to return the favor. To shower them with limitless forgiveness and endless love.
The cold air surrounded me, only adding to my excitement. The colorful bright lights twinkled like the stars in the sky. I watched all the other kids running towards it, and watched them pick their favorite horses, each beautifully decorated with ornaments and colorful saddles. I clenched my moms shirt, insisting her to run faster. We had to make it on this round. We just had do. We ran and ran. I felt like my mom was slowing me down. So I ran faster, letting go of her, racing ahead, hoping to make it through the open iron gates. I could hear my mom calling out for me, "slow down, Anjali. It's crowded. I don't want you to get lost. " she was just looking out for me, but that didn't matter. I wanted to get on and so I ran faster. But just as I got close, I saw the lady with the vest shut the gate. I stopped in front of her, pleading her to let me go. "I'm sorry" she said "it's full. You'll just have to wait"
That's when my mom caught up to me, huffing and puffing. She took one look at me and saw my disappointment. "It's okay," she said as she patted my back, "now you get first pick!" And again I was excited, waiting for the doors to open. And when they did, I ran to the tan horse with the sparkling blue saddle. I stepped on the stirrup and tried to lift myself up but I got all off balance. "Woah there! " my mom said, "you should have waited for me." And she helped me up and fastened the seatbelt. And then she sat on the horse just slightly behind mine to be able to see me.
Then the ride began and the music blasted from the speakers above is. We began to revolve and somehow that made everything feel magical. I started to feel giddy and couldn't stop laughing. I looked at my mom and she was happy too.
I watched the other kids get excited as they waved to their parents who were waiting on the sidelines and all of a sudden I felt excluded. I wanted that too.
Then the ride ended and I told my mom I wanted to go again. The line was short so she didn't mind and I stood in front of the iron gate. The lady smiled and said "back again" and I nodded excited. As we entered, I turned to my mom and said that this time I wanted to go all by myself. She seemed upset but she smiled and stepped back. The lady gave my mom a sympathetic smile as if to say "kids these days!" But it didn't matter because the ride was about to begin.
Now.
Sometimes I wonder how we kids can be so selfish. Our parents slowed their pace so that we could keep up. They changed their whole world to make sure ours was perfect. They forgave our every mistake an overlooked our every fault. But when it's our turn, we hesitate to return the favor. To shower them with limitless forgiveness and endless love.
Now that it's time for college I see myself wanting to break through my shell, to gain some space from my family, to take a step off the branch and try to fly. I find myself looking back on that day and remembering my moms disappointment and I wonder, am I making a mistake by wanting to be more independent?
As I embark on my journey to college, I hear a voice inside me whisper, "Now the time has come to let go of your moms hand. But never forget how you got where you are. "
No comments:
Post a Comment