I am constantly reminded of how fragile love is.
Of how quickly it can be broken or dissolve
Of how one crack can lead to the whole tree falling over.
A tree that's supposed to support me when my own legs give out,
To protect me from harsh rays of sun and give me life in the form of a fresh breath of air.
A tree that I need and can't live without.
And yet I'm far from the land it grows on.
I'm deep in the ocean,
drowning.
I reach out to the branches around me, but instead they break off,
Leaving me without anything left to hold on to.
I think of how conditional love feels,
Gone that I have nothing left to give it
Leaving me lifeless, waiting for a force of nature to bring me to life,
or at least some artificial replication of it.
But the ocean never used to scare me before when I still trusted its soft and unreliable floor.
She never lets me forget the day I took a step too far in the wrong direction and it broke beneath me, crushed by the weight of my failures.
I knew that She existed, long before my foundation broke,
She being the dark shadow that follows me stride by stride
I see Her in my reflection instead of seeing myself, even when She tries to hide.
My battle is with Her but when I try to fight Her, it hurts me too
I hear Her words and I know they can't be true
And yet, I know the seed of doubt is easily planted and difficult to uproot.
Sometimes I don't feel prepared to derail the negative thoughts that keep coming at me
Sometimes I concede the battle with the darkest part of myself. I let myself believe that She is right and I am weak.
And on those days, I will break and sink a little deeper
because my loss means admitting that She's still there, somewhere inside me just beneath the surface, waiting for me to give in again.
I know that I have to fight harder and that one day, maybe I will feel stronger.
And so I have to remind myself
I'm not drowning
I'm rising to the surface
Of how quickly it can be broken or dissolve
Of how one crack can lead to the whole tree falling over.
A tree that's supposed to support me when my own legs give out,
To protect me from harsh rays of sun and give me life in the form of a fresh breath of air.
A tree that I need and can't live without.
And yet I'm far from the land it grows on.
I'm deep in the ocean,
drowning.
I reach out to the branches around me, but instead they break off,
Leaving me without anything left to hold on to.
I think of how conditional love feels,
Gone that I have nothing left to give it
Leaving me lifeless, waiting for a force of nature to bring me to life,
or at least some artificial replication of it.
But the ocean never used to scare me before when I still trusted its soft and unreliable floor.
She never lets me forget the day I took a step too far in the wrong direction and it broke beneath me, crushed by the weight of my failures.
I knew that She existed, long before my foundation broke,
She being the dark shadow that follows me stride by stride
I see Her in my reflection instead of seeing myself, even when She tries to hide.
My battle is with Her but when I try to fight Her, it hurts me too
I hear Her words and I know they can't be true
And yet, I know the seed of doubt is easily planted and difficult to uproot.
Sometimes I don't feel prepared to derail the negative thoughts that keep coming at me
Sometimes I concede the battle with the darkest part of myself. I let myself believe that She is right and I am weak.
And on those days, I will break and sink a little deeper
because my loss means admitting that She's still there, somewhere inside me just beneath the surface, waiting for me to give in again.
I know that I have to fight harder and that one day, maybe I will feel stronger.
And so I have to remind myself
I'm not drowning
I'm rising to the surface
No comments:
Post a Comment