Sunday, January 8, 2017

Breathe


"Breathe," she thinks to herself. 
The car pulls into their parking spot
 and she knows her time is running low. 
Words are caught in her throat, and her courage is withering too. 
Her heart is pounding in her chest, her mouth feels really dry. 
"I've got to do this now", she thinks, "it's the only chance I have left"
Her mom turns off the engine and the silence completely surrounds her. 
She bites her lip harder and again she doubts herself, 
"No I'll do it tomorrow" she resigns. 
Her mom reaches for the door to leave
But a voice inside her shouts,
"Do this for yourself. Or tomorrow you'll live with this regret". 
"Wait," she says in barely a whisper. 
She wonders if her mom could even hear her. 
But instead of leaving, her mom turns and catches her eye. 
"Everything's about to change," she thinks just one last time. 
She feels the temperature drop a little 
And she knows the time has come. 
"Breathe", she reminds herself, "she will understand". 
"There's something I have to tell you" she says, gathering all the courage she can. 
Her mom sits back in her seat, as if she knows something big is on the horizon,
and she braces herself for the unexpected. 
She swallows her fears and clears her throat before she finally speaks. 
"You know I love you," she says to her mom, "and I never want to hurt you..
But there's this boy in my life, and I love him too
I know that it's hard for you to understand, 
but he's has become my dearest friend.  
He makes me laugh until my stomach hurts 
And loves me so much my heart could burst. 
I know this will take time for all of us to work out
But isn't that what family is all about?
I understand your uncertainty and your hesitation
But in the end, I hope you support me and my decision."
She waits for the explosion to happen but it never comes. 
Neither does the wave of disappointment or the utter regret. 
Instead she feels a flood of relief and her whole body relaxes 
"Breathe" she says again, "now the hardest part is over". 




No comments:

Post a Comment