"Hey..You're home." I said, eyes heavy. I had been waiting up for him because I knew he hated coming home to an empty house.
He grunted, his jaw tight and clenched.
"You okay?" I asked, eyebrows raised with a little concern and a little wary.
"I'm fine." He snapped, his eyes fiercely locked with mine. I looked at my husband and my whole body shuddered.
Deep breath, I reminded myself. He's just upset. He probably just had a bad day.
Silent and lips tightly pursed together, I nodded, bracing myself for his anger. His eyebrows scrunched together. I waited, wondering if today would be one of those days... Instead he let out a heavy sigh, as if he too was just tired of all of this. Too tired to take out his anger on me. He walked into our bedroom, changed and went to sleep. But I stayed there on the sofa, hoping he wouldn't call out to me, summoning me to bed. I prayed I wouldn't have to pretend to feel comfortable lying in bed next to him again tonight.
He wasn't always like this, I reminded myself. I remember a time when his words were so sweet they made my heart melt. When his pull on me was so strong, so intense that nothing else, no one else mattered. I fought my friends, my family, my whole world for him.
I left them all behind because they told me he wasn't right for me. Because they couldn't see him like I did. They couldn't see see the look in his eyes that yearned for me. They couldn't hear his sweet, soft voice as he whispered in my ear, "I need you in my life. Babe you make me whole. I don't know what I would do without you." They couldn't see it. They just didn't understand.
He wasn't the way they all thought he was. They looked at him and they saw this rough and harsh man. They saw his sharp jaw and rugged beard. They saw the scar above his left eyebrow and the callouses on his hands. They saw anger in his eyes. But that's not who I saw. I looked at him and I could see his hurt and his pain. I could remember his tears on my shirt as he cried into my stomach telling me about how his mom left him and he couldn't lose me too. I remember feeling in that moment that I would do whatever it took to take care of him. He needed me and I couldn't possibly imagine leaving him.
He grunted, his jaw tight and clenched.
"You okay?" I asked, eyebrows raised with a little concern and a little wary.
"I'm fine." He snapped, his eyes fiercely locked with mine. I looked at my husband and my whole body shuddered.
Deep breath, I reminded myself. He's just upset. He probably just had a bad day.
Silent and lips tightly pursed together, I nodded, bracing myself for his anger. His eyebrows scrunched together. I waited, wondering if today would be one of those days... Instead he let out a heavy sigh, as if he too was just tired of all of this. Too tired to take out his anger on me. He walked into our bedroom, changed and went to sleep. But I stayed there on the sofa, hoping he wouldn't call out to me, summoning me to bed. I prayed I wouldn't have to pretend to feel comfortable lying in bed next to him again tonight.
He wasn't always like this, I reminded myself. I remember a time when his words were so sweet they made my heart melt. When his pull on me was so strong, so intense that nothing else, no one else mattered. I fought my friends, my family, my whole world for him.
I left them all behind because they told me he wasn't right for me. Because they couldn't see him like I did. They couldn't see see the look in his eyes that yearned for me. They couldn't hear his sweet, soft voice as he whispered in my ear, "I need you in my life. Babe you make me whole. I don't know what I would do without you." They couldn't see it. They just didn't understand.
He wasn't the way they all thought he was. They looked at him and they saw this rough and harsh man. They saw his sharp jaw and rugged beard. They saw the scar above his left eyebrow and the callouses on his hands. They saw anger in his eyes. But that's not who I saw. I looked at him and I could see his hurt and his pain. I could remember his tears on my shirt as he cried into my stomach telling me about how his mom left him and he couldn't lose me too. I remember feeling in that moment that I would do whatever it took to take care of him. He needed me and I couldn't possibly imagine leaving him.
No comments:
Post a Comment